We Deliver Outstanding Early Years Schooling
St. Dominic’s Grammar School Kindergarten is open for boys and girls from the term in which they are three years of age.
Our teaching Kindergarten is a thriving community of active boys and girls who enjoy engaging in child-centred activities.
The Kindergarten has been open for over 20 years and has an enviable record of giving excellent Kindergarten education and delivering “outstanding” early years schooling. Our purpose built facility and secure outside play area allows children to enjoy a balanced curriculum of play centred activities which helps them to develop mentally and socially. By the time children are ready to progress to our Transition Class many of them are able to recognise numbers and use initial letter sounds to recognise their names.
Our overriding aim is to provide a happy, safe, caring and stimulating learning environment for your child. An environment where each learner is treated as an individual and encouraged to reach his/her full potential. This is supported by:
- ensuring high quality care and education
- delivering a relevant, child-centred curriculum inside and outside in our extensive grounds
- providing a team of Early Years Practitioners and teachers who understand and are able to implement the curriculum requirements for all learners
- to offer teaching which supports and extends knowledge, understanding, skills and confidence
- to develop a partnership of mutual respect with parents
- to create an environment in which each individual feels included, secure and valued
- to create an atmosphere which promotes a positive attitude and disposition to learn
- to offer well planned purposeful activities which provide for teaching and learning, whilst ensuring the success of each individual
- to provide rich, stimulating experiences engaging the individual in the learning process
- to develop gross motor and fine manipulative skills
- to lay firm foundations for future learning
The Kindergarten opens at 8am and closes at 6pm.
Parents have 3 session options for Kindergarten education. They are:
- Full day session
- Morning session
- Afternoon session
Parents can book children into the Kindergarten on a full time basis or have a combination of sessions to suit their needs and that of the child.
8.00am – 9.00am – welcome, ‘sign in’ and Early Birds Club.
9.00am – 12.20pm – A carousel of child initiated, learner led and staff directed activities.
All morning children stay for school lunches and eat socially with their peers.
1.00pm – 3.30pm – A carousel of child initiated, learner led and staff directed activities.
3.30pm – 6.00pm – Tea Time Club
All afternoon session children who stay to Tea Time Club are served a light afternoon tea.
We recommend that young learners need to attain a minimum of 3 sessions per week, building quickly to 4 sessions, as a minimum in Kindergarten to ensure progression and continuity. Hot lunches and afternoon tea are included in the fees for all children. Children are served and supervised by members of the Early Prep team.
There is also a ‘Holiday Club’ which children can attend for an extra fee. There is flexibility of days and sessions to suit individual needs.
The ‘Holiday Club’ runs during the Christmas, Easter and Summer holidays from 8.00am – 5.00pm and is be available subject to demand:
- 1 week at October half term
- 1 week at Christmas
- 1 week at Easter
- 2 weeks during the Summer